Who doesn’t love to cheer successful people on? The career graph of the successful lot includes pivotal moments that played an inherent role in shaping their story. In today’s times, women have indeed shattered the glass ceiling but not without their moments of darkness. Success for such women includes a combination of situations such as picking up the pieces of their crumbled self and moving on back to join the pieces again. Yes, the cracks always remain, like a beautiful design; broken, but oddly unique. This design acts as a reminder of the moments they picked themselves up to learn something new, or instilled courage to take a different path to live a successful life. These and a myriad of moments shape the ultimate route to success.
This women’s day, we share stories of 5 successful women and how to achieve success in life using 5 powerful mantras.
5 Successful Women who Rock
1. Lady Gaga: This American singer, songwriter, and actor is right now the only person in history to have won a Golden Globe, a Grammy, a BAFTA, and an Oscar - all in a single year. Mocked for being too eccentric, or ahead of her times, she forged her way fearlessly while keeping her eyes on the goal. She faced her share of adversities with mental and physical therapy at an early age. Did that stop her from achieving success? Absolutely not!
You can express emotions freely because you have kept yourself psychologically safe to survive and thrive
2. Serena Williams: This American professional tennis player faced racism at an early age. Playing from the tender age of 4, Williams has shown how hard work and perseverance helped achieve her dream. The journey to success was never easy with Williams facing injury and setbacks. What mattered were strong comebacks, with Williams soon climbing to the top spot. Her confidence and belief in self brought her to the return of her dominance.
3. Geeta Phogat: This Indian freestyle wrestler was born in a small town where wrestling was not considered an option for women. Geeta’s journey to win India’s first ever gold medal (Commonwealth Games) was one strewn with obstacles. She defied all norms and worked hard while creating history even with her losses. Geeta’s achievements led to a Hindi movie based on her life that went on to be a box office success.
4. Madonna: Singer and songwriter, Madonna was known to push the envelope. Having grown up as a ‘lonely girl’, Madonna knew she wanted to be a somebody. She was known for her ‘rebellious nature’ as she created her own mark with her style of singing, dressing, performances, and bold music videos. From serving as a waitress at a popular doughnut joint, Madonna tasted success and immense popularity despite the criticism. She may have ruffled quite a few feathers but what mattered here was her utmost belief in self.
5. Angela Merkel: Topping the Forbes’ list of the 100 most powerful women of 2018, Angela Merkel is known for her strong leadership skills. While being the first female Chancellor of Germany (2005), this German politician faced a loss in the election in 1998. That changed soon after when Merkel was appointed as Germany’s first female chancellor. She quickly climbed up the ladder and has retained the top spot (Forbes List) for the eight consecutive year (2018).
Success is luring, tempting, and success happens to those willing to walk that extra mile. Successful women have shown what it takes to design their own path to the top and stay rooted in their position.
Are you wondering how to become a successful woman? What have these 5 successful women got in common that brought them much success and prosperity despite adversities? We’ll share 5 points you can integrate in your daily routine to carve a niche in your own field.
5 Ways to be Successful in Life
What makes these women what they are today?
1. Positive Appreciation
If you wait for appreciation from others, you might have a long wait! These 5 successful women have shown us the importance of self-appreciation. Appreciating the self makes us feel good about what we do. It strengthens our relationship with self where we no longer depend on external validations. When a woman knows she is good enough, there’s no stopping her! If you wait for constant approval and do not receive it, you tend to harbor feelings of negativity. What matters here is knowing you are doing a good job, can handle constructive criticism, and be open to appreciation.
The ability to embrace fears and negativity without worrying about being afraid to be seen, sets these personalities apart.
2. Psychological Safety
Creating a safe space for one’s own psychological safety gives women the chance to innovate while taking risks. Here, a strong focus is required without getting weighed down by gender stereotypes or patriarchy. You learn to empower the self and develop a mindset that supports it. You are open to be vulnerable without worrying about criticism, failure, negative remarks, and more. You can express emotions freely because you have kept yourself psychologically safe to survive and thrive. Women who give themselves permission and protection, experience the peak of their self-awareness and self-management. The world definitely sits up to take notice when you learn to voice your opinions without fear.
3. Self-Permission to Break Taboos
For decades, women the world over have had the society lay down rules for their conduct. Successful women have broken taboos to show they can go ahead without the need to follow set rules. They have taken paths considered ‘embarrassing’ to aptly display that each one must write their own journey. By allowing themselves to discover their own strengths and giving permission to be themselves, they achieved the star status to rule their respective careers.
4. Exercising their Strengths
In a world full of criticism, there is no dearth to the negativity around us. All these stars faced setbacks during their journey. What makes it worse, is reading the gossip vine that often highlights the negatives of a personality. The point here is to focus on strengths, which our leading ladies definitely did. While one continued to work hard in a male-dominated sport (Geeta Phogat), the other created her own mark with her unique sense of style (Lady Gaga). Nothing deterred them from taking a path less frequented by allowing themselves to be their own self.
5. Being Visible
Developing your own personal brand is important to create a space for yourself. When a personality gives permission to be visible without any feeling of self-doubt, you create trust with yourself and your audience. The fear of being visible is self-created and those who overcome it are known to taste success. This can simply mean, if you have a dream, then you need to speak with people who matter. If you are in an exciting career, you need to allow yourself to blossom to make heads turn. The ability to embrace fears and negativity without worrying about being afraid to be seen, sets these personalities apart. Yes, you might be mocked, or gossiped about. Don’t let that stop you.
“Tell me something', girl, Are you happy in this modern world?
Or do you need more? Is there something else you're searching for?”
If you haven’t yet found your answer, apply these 5 principles to your life, and you’ll be far from the shallow.
Looking for a Life Leadership Coach to live a successful life? Write to email@example.com, an award-winning coach with over 14 years of expertise. Watch your life change as he inspires, empowers, transforms.
Note: The list is created at the author’s discretion and appear in random order.